Followers

Sunday, January 29, 2012

1/29/12 AM

I am sorry it has been so long since I have written. Frustration has gotten the better of me. I am happy to report that my sugars have come down from the major highs I was having, but I am still up in the 200's.

I found a book that I am reading and loving. It is called "Lo-Starch Diabetes Solution". It is written by Rob Thompson. He talks about focusing more on starches rather than carbohydrates. What he talks about explains a lot with my body. When I started eating the diet that my husband is doing is when my sugars started to skyrocket. I am no longer doing the diet and my sugars have come down even though I am still eating things that are not good for me. My frustration was that I was eating "good" food and my sugars were higher than they have ever been. In the book he explains how starches are concentrated in grains and so they need to be eaten differently. On the diet I was eating grains and corn tortillas and such more than I ever had in the past. Now that I am not eating them so much, my sugars have come down.

So, I am going to finish the book and see what his suggested diet is. He has so far just said to stay clear of any flour containing foods, potatoes, rice, corn and sugar containing liquids. I am about 1/2 way through the book, but I think that he is right and that what he has to say can really help me. In the mean time, I am just taking my medicine and trying to do what I can to keep them from being up in the 4 and 5 hundreds again.

Emotionally I am down. I find that when I get around my family I do much better. I am more relaxed and that helps. I guess I need to get around them more. :) When I get into my own home I am reminded of all the responsibilities that I have and the struggles going on and it brings me down. I still think that the vitamins I am taking are helping with me not "flipping out", but I am still angry a lot. Not just a little angry.....very angry. I just focus on not taking it out on my daughter and that is as far as i can get and don't get much resolution.

Anyway, back to the diabetes......

I am hopeful that I can bring my numbers down, but as usual I know that exercise is going to be a huge part of doing that. I have moved my elliptical to the living room and hope that the late hours won't upset my neighbors much. We will find out soon I guess.

So, I am currently on 58 units of the 75/25 mix in the am and 66 units at night. I am also still taking all the vitamins, metformin and a blood pressure medication. As for diet I am trying to stick to meats and veggies in general, but yesterday was a bad day. I had a steamer for breakfast, which is basically a flavored hot milk. Then for lunch I had a bowl of pinto beans, then later in the afternoon I had a hamburger and onion rings. I did bypass the soda, but had a couple of bites of my daughter's ice cream. I was angry when I got home and I didn't care and so I had ruffles potato chips for dinner.

I woke up with a better attitude and then found out something that has made me angry again and so I am trying to fight the urge to eat bad for breakfast, but to do that I am just not eating anything. I am making stuffed bell peppers for dinner and using my sister's idea of stuffing them with meat and veggies instead of just meat. Then we will have a dinner salad along with it. For lunch I need to plan something so that I don't choose poorly.

Well, I will try to keep up with writing better because it keeps me thinking about my diabetes and so I feel it is important. I am not promising how often, but I will try to keep things going.

No comments: